Starting on July 1, 2013, Medicare is scheduled to expand the Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) Competitive Bidding Program to some areas in Massachusetts (Boston-Cambridge-Fall River-New Bedford- Quincy- Springfield-Worcester) This program changes the amount Medicare pays for certain DMEPOS, and makes changes to which suppliers Medicare will pay to supply these items to Medicare beneficiaries.
To find out if a supplier is a contract supplier for the program check on the CMS DMEPOS Competitive Bidding Website for the “Supplier Directory” or by calling 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
The eight product categories that are included in this program are:
1. Oxygen, oxygen equipment, and supplies;
2. Standard (power and manual) wheelchairs, scooters, and related accessories;
3. Enteral nutrients, equipment, and supplies;
4. Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) devices, Respiratory Assist Devices (RADs) and related supplies and accessories;
5. Hospital beds and related accessories;
6. Walkers and related accessories;
7. Support surfaces (Group 2 mattresses and overlays); and
8. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy pumps and related supplies and accessories.
For more information, CMS also published a Tip Sheet “What You Should Know if You Need Medicare-covered Equipment or Supplies”
Return to www.thinkhomecare.org.